The 2016 Municipal Election will take place on Saturday, October 15, 2016. If you are interested in running in the election you must be an ordinarily resident of the Town of Wolfville by March 13, 2016.
The Municipal Elections Act defines an ordinarily resident as follows:
16 (1) A person is ordinarily resident in the place where the person lives and to which, whenever absent, the person intends to return.
(2) A person may be ordinarily resident in only one place at a time.
(3) A person does not cease to be ordinarily resident in a place by leaving the place for a temporary purpose only.
(4) Where a person usually sleeps in one place and has meals or is employed in another place, the person is ordinarily resident in the place where the person sleeps.
(5) Where a person has temporary residential quarters, those quarters are considered to be the place in which the person is ordinarily resident only if the person has no other place the person considers as that person's ordinary place of residence.
(6) Where a person is being provided with food, lodging or other social services by a shelter, hostel or similar institution, the person is ordinarily resident in the shelter, hostel or institution.
(7) Where the rules set out in subsections (1) to (6) are not sufficient to determine the place where a person is ordinarily resident, the place where the person is ordinarily resident must be determined by the appropriate election officer with reference to all the facts of the case.
(8) A person who, on the ordinary polling day,(a) is a student;(b) is ordinarily resident in a polling district or polling division other than that of the person's family home; and(c) is qualified as an elector,may elect to be included on the list of electors in one or the other of the polling divisions, but not both, and is deemed to be ordinarily resident in that polling division.
(9) A person is not ordinarily resident in a residence that is generally occupied by the person only between the beginning of May and the end of October but that is generally unoccupied between the beginning of November and the end of April unless the person does not have another residence in the Province where the person resides between the beginning of November and the end of April.