The delivery of safe water to consumers is the top priority for Water Utilities. The approach to achieve this in Nova Scotia and in many areas throughout the world is the Multiple-Barrier Approach. This is a series of steps taken by the water supplier which together provide multiple layers of protection to ensure that safe water is delivered to the consumer.
In Nova Scotia the barriers outlined in the Province’s Drinking Water Strategy are as follows:
Keeping it Clean - by ensuring that the water source is protected from contamination
Making it Safe - by providing the required treatment
Proving it Safe - through continuous testing and monitoring
The Town of Wolfville Water Utility (Utility) has a complete program of water treatment, testing and monitoring in full compliance with all regulations that provides a finished product that meets or exceeds the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality as published by Health Canada.
To complete the multiple barriers of protection the Utility adopted a Source Water (wellhead) Protection Plan to ensure the source water remains clean.
Guided by the Source Water Protection Plan, the objective of the Source Water Protection Advisory Committee is to provide the Water Utility with advice that will attempt to satisfy the water quality and quantity concerns of all stakeholders; about the sources of contamination in the source water supply area; about the management options available, and about the success of the protection plan.
- Oonagh Proudfoot, Deputy Mayor (Chair)
- Wendy Elliott, Councillor
- Jennifer Kershaw, member at-large
- John Brzustowski, member at-large
- Wendy Donovan, Mayor
- Peter Allen, Councillor, Kings County representative
- Marcel Falkenham, Acadia University representative
- Shane Warner, member at-large for the County of Kings
- Tim Bouter, Director, Engineering & Public Works
- Devin Lake, Director Planning & Development, Wolfville
- Planning Staff, County of Kings
- Dawn MacNeill, Nova Scotia Dept of Environment
- TBD, Consultant
Committee Reference Material
Policy 910-001 Source Water Protection Advisory Committee