The Finance & Corporate Services Departments core services include accounting, budgeting/financial reporting, customer service/cash receipting, property tax and water utility billings, accounts receivable collections, payroll and insurance policy administration. The department also assists in the development of Town policies as they relate to financial matters/management. The department is responsible for the management of the Town’s financial records in accordance with:
- Council policies and by-laws,
- The provincial Municipal Government Act (MGA),
- Provincial guidelines as published in the Financial Reporting and Accounting Manual (FRAM),
- Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board guidelines for Water Utilities; and,
- Professional Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as issued through the Public Sector Accounting Board (PSAB).
Finance & Corporate Services acts as a resource for Council, other Town Departments, and the general public. In addition, the department is responsible for annual financial reporting to Council, provincial and federal government, and other outside agencies.
Finance & Corporate Services staff are also the Town’s first point of contact with members of the public who visit Town Hall. Beyond the traditional finance responsibilities, the Director also carries out the duties of Treasurer, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) Responsible Officer as defined in the MGA, insurance claims facilitation and Acting CAO when required.